Many people choose to honor their loved one’s memory by keeping their ashes, commonly known as cremains, secure in a beautiful, sealed container known as an urn. Cremation has become more common in recent times and keeping your loved one’s remains close by can offer solace and comfort during and after the grieving process.
Urns can be composed of any material, including stone, wood and metal, and can come in various shapes and sizes. Besides determining what your budget is for the right urn, there are some important factors to consider.
- Where will the urn be stored? Are you keeping it at home or will it be stored in a niche in a cemetery? If so, you will want to consider the dimensions of the niche to make sure that it is the appropriate size.
- What size should it be? To determine the size of the urn, consider that for each pound of body weight, there should be one cubic inch in the urn. A medium urn holds 140 cubic inches of volume, a large urn holds at least 200 cubic inches, and an extra-large urn holds 300 cubic inches or more. Smaller sizes might be the best option if the ashes are being shared among the family.
- How will the urn be used? Will you keep it at home or at a burial site? Will you be scattering the ashes?
- Should I used biodegradable urns so that they decompose over time, releasing the cremains into the ground or slowly into the
- Which style and design are the best choice? There are many styles, including cloisonné, wood, patriotic, religious, infant, child and adult urns, pet urns, marble, steel, combination materials, etc.
- If a limited budget is not a concern, artisan urns offer one-of-a-kind and made by hand creations. The cost for cremation urns can be anywhere from $45 to thousands of dollars depending upon the materials, size, etc.
Losing a loved one is the worst emotional pain any of us can suffer in our lifetimes. Deciding on the final resting place for your loved one can leave you with a feeling of resolution while paying homage to their life. Polchinski Memorials in Hawthorne, New York has been helping families for more than 135 years. We will help you decide on the perfect tribute to your loved one. Contact us.
Leave a Reply