When we hear that someone we know has suffered a terrible loss, we immediately want to help. However, many of us don’t know what to say or do. Sometimes this results in saying nothing to the person at all. Below are twelve suggestions relating to how to support and help a grieving person in a constructive way during their time of need. Remember that grief is an intensely individual experience, so patience and understanding will go a long way.
1. Acknowledge what happened and express your concern.
2. Offer support. If you don’t know what to say, simply tell them you care.
3. Accept and acknowledge their feelings.
4. Be willing to sit in silence.
5. Allow the mourner to talk about their loved one and how they died.
6. Offer comfort and reassurance without minimizing the loss.
7. Listen with compassion.
8. Allow the grieving person to openly express themselves, but only if they want to.
9. Continue the support for as long as the mourner needs.
10. Be sensitive to the fact that life may never be the same again for them.
11. Offer extra support on anniversary dates, birthdays, holidays and other special days.
12. Be proactive by offering to help the grieving person with day-to-day activities, including:
· Shopping for groceries, running errands, doing housework and laundry
· Helping with funeral arrangements
· Staying with them to take phone calls and receive guests and visitors
· Helping with insurance forms and billing issues
· Watching their children or picking them up for school
· Driving them where they need to go and looking after their pets
· Going with them to a support group or taking a walk with them
· Taking them to lunch and movie
· Sharing a fun activity such as a sport, game, puzzle or art project
Remember that your support may be needed for months. Stay in touch and check-in. Once the initial shock has worn off, your support will be even more important.
Polchinski Memorials’ compassion and sensitivity are well known throughout the tri-state area. We have been in business for decades, so we are able to give you the necessary and valuable advice and guidance for choosing the right memorial for your loved one. Please call us for more information at 914-984-4198 or 203-413-1345. You can also email us at email@example.com.
Leave a Reply